Meghan Markle ‘clearly misinformed’ with claim about earlier wedding

100
Meghan clearly misinformed with claim about earlier wedding

The former official who issued the license for the Sussexes’ wedding has rejected Meghan Markle’s claim that the royal couple married in secret three days before their public union in Windsor.

Stephen Borton, the former chief clerk at the Faculty Office, told The Sun that Meghan Markle is obviously confused and clearly misinformed after she made the claim in a bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey.

She told the chat show host that the Archbishop of Canterbury had married the pair in their backyard three days before their royal wedding at St George’s Chapel in Windsor.

It was thought it could not have been a legal ceremony as it lacked witnesses and a registered venue, and was instead likely to have been an informal exchange of vows.

Mr. Borton said: They did not marry three days earlier in front of the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Special Licence I helped draw up enabled them to marry at St George’s Chapel in Windsor and what happened there on May 19, 2018, and was seen by millions around the world was the official wedding as recognized by the Church of England and the law.

What I suspect they did was exchange some simple vows they had perhaps written themselves, and which is fashionable, and said that in front of the Archbishop or, and more likely, it was a simple rehearsal.

Meghan Markle
Oprah Winfrey interviews Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Credit: PA Wire)

The newspaper also printed a certified copy of an entry marriage document for the couple which was dated May 19, 2018, and bore the names of Charles and Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland as witnesses.

The wedding development was just one revelation in the Winfrey interview, with Meghan Markle and Harry accusing an unnamed member of the royal family, not the Queen nor the Duke of Edinburgh of raising concerns about how dark their son Archie’s skin tone would be before he was born.

The duke also said that none of his relatives spoke out in support of Meghan Markle following the racism he said she faced in the media, with the duchess saying she suffered suicidal thoughts in response to the attacks.

Buckingham Palace previously said the issues raised in Harry and Meghan’s interview, especially over race, were concerning and would be addressed by the Queen and her family privately.

ALSO READ: Judge rules details in Ghislaine case ‘too sensational and IMPURE’ to be revealed